[Ace-users] Re: [ciao-users] Deployment descriptor for external component connection

Gan Deng gan.deng at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Aug 1 09:51:42 CDT 2007

Santos,

Thanks for using PRF!

san tos wrote:
> CIAO VERSION: 0.5.9
> TAO VERSION : 1.5.9
> ACE VERSION : 5.5.9
>
> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
> If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you
> use?: Pentium IV, Debian linux kernel 2.6
>
> TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
>
> THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform-
> specific file, simply state which one]:#include "ace/config-
> linux.h"
>
> THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you
> use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
> (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
> C++)]:
> no_hidden_visibility=1
> include $(ACE_ROOT)/include/makeinclude/platform_linux.GNU
>
> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/
> default.features
> (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles): There is no
> such file.
>
> AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
> [What example failed? What module failed to compile?]
>
> DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
> COMPILATION? No.
> If so, what do your $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h and
> $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU contain?
> LINKING?
> On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first?
> EXECUTION? No.
> OTHER (please specify)?
> [Please indicate whether ACE/TAO/CIAO, your application, or both are
> affected.]
>
> Deployment descriptor for external component connection
>
> SYNOPSIS:
> [Brief description of the problem]
>
> Deployment descriptor for external component connection

> [Detailed description of problem. Don't just say "
> doesn't work, here's a fix," explain what your program does
> to get to the state. ]
>
> Hi,
>
> I need to deploy two applications described in two diferent deployment
> descriptor files. I tryied to do that by copying the ior file from one
> component (Comp2.ior) and pasting it in the directory of the other
> application. The deployment descriptor connection clause of the
> application that uses the external reference is as follows:
>

> comp1-comp2
>
> comp1_facet
> Facet
> Comp1-idd
>

> Comp2
> false
> comp2_receptacle
> IDL:Application/AppComponent:1.0
>

> The first application deploys fine but the deployment of the second
> application reports an error stating that plan launcher can’t find the
> external reference (Comp2) despite I put the ior file in the application
> descriptor folder. I’m starting two Execution Managers, one for each
> application. I would appreciate if someone can give me a hint of what is
> [...]

There are two ways to do this:

1. Use the "shared component" feature of DAnCE

    a. You deploy your first deployment plan which has "comp1" and facet
       "foo".

    b. In your 2nd deployment plan (with a different plan_uuid than the
       first one), your still describe "comp1" in its descriptor, and
       use the normal way to describe the facet/receptacle connection.

    c. DAnCE will recognize that "comp1" has already been deployed, so
       it won't redeploy it, but simply set up the connections between
       "comp1" and "comp2". Please note that you only need one
       ExecutionManager.

       Please see:

       CIAO\examples\Hello\descriptors_shared_components

       for an example.

2. Use the externalRefEndpoint

    You can use "externalReferenceEndpoint" tag and supply a corbaname://
    ior. Please note you still only need one ExecutionManager. This
    feature is not in the CIAO VERSION: 0.5.9 yet.

Thanks,
Gan