[Ace-users] CSD with reliable oneway calls

Jochen Rothenbacher jochen.rothenbacher at nsn.com
Fri Aug 3 07:43:27 CDT 2007

Subject: TAO : CSD with reliable oneway calls

    ACE VERSION: 5.5.6

    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
      sun solaris 10

    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):

      CC: Sun C++ 5.7 Patch 117830-08 2006/07/12

    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform-
    specific file, simply state which one]:

      #include "ace/config-sunos5.10.h"

    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you
    use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
    (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
    C++)]:

      include $(ACE_ROOT)/include/makeinclude/platform_sunos5_sunc++.GNU

    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
    (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles):
      ssl=0
      qos=0

    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
        EXECUTION:
        MultiThreading - CSD - Oneway calls

    SYNOPSIS:
       Possible bypass of CSD Strategy setting SyncScope Policy ?

     During performance tests we observed that there were oneway calls
missed. So we decided to introduce 'reliable oneway calls using the
SyncScope Policy'.
     We are using the CSD Framework by applying our own strategy to the
child poa. This strategy puts all calls into a queue for later
dispatching in our process framework. This main application is single
threaded and dispatches events of several input queues sequentially.
     Because this application is not thead-safe it is important for us
that all CORBA calls are dispatched using our strategy.
     But after setting the reliable oneway calls at ORB-level we observed
that some calls are are not executed in the main thread. Removing the
policy setting for oneway calls avoided this problem.
     Is there a possibility that the strategy changes it's behaviour
comparable to the behaviour of a 'regular' orb?

     Best regards,
       Jochen Rothenbacher