[Ace-users] Re: [tao-users] Network Connection Closure

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Aug 8 06:03:36 CDT 2007

Hi Kishore,

To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information,
please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF),
which is in

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

or in

$ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM

in older versions of ACE+TAO.  Make sure to include this information
when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to
"guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is
very error-prone and slows down our responsiveness.  If you don't use
the PRF, therefore, it is less likely that someone from the core
ACE+TAO developer team will be able to answer your question.
Naturally, we encourage and appreciate other members of the ACE+TAO
user community who can respond to questions that they have the answers
to.

> Is it possible with TAO to close a client connection to the server,
> without destroying the ORB ?  To be precise _narrow to get server ---
> process a few requests ---> close connection and reloop after a
> while (event driven cannot be preconfigured)

I think the best way to do this is via TAO's connection caching
capabilities.  These are described to some extent in the online
documentation at

TAO_ROOT/docs/Options.html

e.g., as part of the discussion of the options
-ORBConnectionPurgingStrategy, -ORBConnectionCacheMax,
-ORBConnectionCachePurgePercentage, etc.  I believe the best way to
learn about this stuff, however, is to get a copy of the TAO Developer's
Guide from OCI <http://www.theaceorb.com/product/index.html>.  You might
also consider contacting Johnny Willemsen <jwillemsen at remedy.nl> to see
if he'd add this information to the Remedy TAO Programmer's Guide
<http://www.theaceorb.nl/en/tpg.html>.

Take care,