[Ace-users] [tao-users] Footprint of the upcoming 1.6 release of TAO

Johnny Willemsen jwillemsen at remedy.nl
Thu Aug 9 02:57:12 CDT 2007

Hi all,

We are working hard to get everything ready for TAO 1.6, which is the next
"official" release of TAO that is due out in several weeks. In addition to
many bug fixes and improvements, we have also significantly reduced the
footprint of TAO.  In particular, the following tasks have been
performed:
- Moved optional CORBA features to new libraries
- Enhanced TAO's CORBA/e and Minimum CORBA profiles to limit the features
of TAO when one of these profiles is enabled
- When CORBA/e or Minimum CORBA is enabled the IDL compiler will generate
less code
- Added TAO-specific defines/features to limit the features

We have been tracking the footprint on our scoreboard (see
http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/). There you find a footprint
build for regular builds, as well as CORBA/e and Minimum CORBA builds.

Using CORBA/e micro and some TAO-specific defines we have reduced the
footprint of the Hello World server example by 17% compared to x.5.10
and 25% compared to x.5.7. The Hello Server is now 1,095,406 bytes and the
Hello client 738,527 bytes, which is about 35% smaller then when you build
the Hello server out of the box without setting any defines.

There are more ideas to reduce the footprint even more, we think we can
get the Hello World server below the 1Mb of footprint. If you are
interested in sponsoring this effort, let us know.