[Ace-users] Re: [tao-bugs] NamingService Persistency & -ORBDaemon

Hans Utz hans.utz at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 17 15:18:42 CDT 2007

Trying to come up with test cases for your question helped me nailing
down the problem. Actually, it's a subtle interaction between -ORBDaemon
and any file-related option:

-ORBDaemon seems to set the working directory to / so:

"Naming_Service -o ns.ior" puts the ior-file in the current working
directory.
"Naming_Service -o ns.ior -ORBDaemon" puts the ior in / and fails until
you have write permission to the root directory.
"Naming_Service -o /tmp/ns.ior -ORBDaemon" works again.

So I would suggest a more verbose documentation on the -ORBDaemon
option. Adding to "TAO/docs/Options.html" something like:

Note, that this changes the working directory to be the root directory
"/". This especially affects relative paths specified at the command line.

Thanks,
Hans

Johnny Willemsen wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for using the PRF form. Does it start when just using -ORBDeamon, or
> is it related to the persistency option?
>
> Johnny

Hans Utz - USRA/RIACS at NASA Ames
I do not speak for NASA, and NASA does not speak for me.