[Ace-users] Re: [tao-bugs] Problem with ORBInitializer_Registry in all Tests.

Werner Buchert w.buchert at medat.de
Tue Aug 21 07:39:52 CDT 2007

Hi,

thanks for the answer.
I think, I've found the root of the problem,
because the $ACE_ROOT/tests/Service_Config_Test
doesn't work anymore, that is:

Aug 21 11:12:13.482 2007 at LM_DEBUG@ACE (57870|1) DLL_Handle::open
("Service_Config_DLL.so", 0x10004) -> failed: No such file or directory
Aug 21 11:12:13.482 2007 at LM_DEBUG@ACE (57870|1) DLL_Handle::open
("libService_Config_DLL.so", 0x10004) -> failed: No such
         file or directory
Aug 21 11:12:13.483 2007 at LM_DEBUG@ACE (57870|1) DLL_Handle::open
("Service_Config_DLL", 0x10004) -> failed: No such file or directory

That's right, there is only a  libService_Config_DLL.a and no
libService_Config_DLL.so.

In the $ACE_ROOT/ChangeLog file, I've found

Fri May 25 15:44:13 UTC 2007  Steve Huston  <shuston at riverace.com>

          * ace/config-aix-5.x.h:
         * include/makeinclude/platform_aix_ibm.GNU: Changed the AIX
shared library build output from an archived shared object (shr.o in
          lib<foo>.a) to a dynamic shared library (lib<foo>.so).

So, TAO with g++ is compiling libxxx.a but is expecting libxxx.so.
The change is in
config-aix-5.x.h line 150 ...:

     150 #if defined (ACE_DLL_SUFFIX)
     151 #  undef ACE_DLL_SUFFIX
     152 #endif
     153 #define ACE_DLL_SUFFIX ".so"

In TAO1.5.8 it was simple

#define ACE_DLL_SUFFIX ".a"

With ".a" SUFFIX, it is now working.

So, I will ask our managers about funding the port,
but chances are small, because we are a little company.

Thanks and best regards,

Werner.

> Hi Werner,
>
> I don't know of any specific changes that could lead to your problem. Just
> to be sure, do you have build the mentioned libraries? Just be aware that we
> don't have AIX TAO builds at this moment, we are interested in doing that,
> but AIX requires special expensive hardware and also the maintenance on AIX
> is time consuming. Maybe there are more users of TAO on AIX, by sharing
> costs the price for each user will be lower.
>
> Regards,
>
> Johnny Willemsen
> Remedy IT
> Postbus 101
> 2650 AC  Berkel en Rodenrijs
> The Netherlands
> www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl
>
> *** Integrated compile and test statistics see
> http://scoreboard.theaceorb.nl ***
> *** Commercial service and support for ACE/TAO/CIAO             ***
> *** See http://www.theaceorb.nl/en/support.html                 ***
>
>>       TAO VERSION: 1.5.10
>>       ACE VERSION: 5.5.10
>>
>>       HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
>>           IBM RS/6000 AIX 5.2
>>
>>       TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
>>       COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
>>               g++4.1.1 on AIX5.2
>>
>>       THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a
>> platform-
>>       specific file, simply state which one]:
>>
>>               config-aix-5.x.h on AIX
>>
>>       THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE
>>
>>            platform_aix_g++.GNU on AIX
>>
>>       CONTENTS OF
>> $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
>>       (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles): No.
>>
>>       AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
>>
>>            All Tests doesn't work anymore.
>>
>>       DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
>>           COMPILATION? NO.
>>               If so, what do your $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h and
>>
>> $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU contain?
>>           LINKING?  NO.
>>               On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first? Yes.
>>           EXECUTION?  Yes.
>>           OTHER (please specify)?
>>

>>       SYNOPSIS:
>>           Seems, that all tests doesn't work anymore.

>>            Running for example the BiDirectional-Test
>>            yields the following Error:
>>
>>            ACE (27182|1) LN::open_dll - Failed to open TAO_Codeset:
>>      Error: check log for details.
>>            ACE (27182|1) Unable to create service object for
>> TAO_Codeset
>>            ACE (27182|1) LN::open_dll - Failed to open TAO_PI: Error:
>> check log for details.
>>            ACE (27182|1) Unable to create service object for
>> ORBInitializer_Registry
>>            (27182|1) ERROR: ORBInitializer Registry unable to
>> find the
>> ORBInitializer Registry instance: Invalid argument
>>            ACE (27182|1) LN::open_dll - Failed to open TAO_PI: Error:
>> check log for details.
>>            ACE (27182|1) Unable to create service object for
>> ORBInitializer_Registry
> [...]

Für Rückfragen stehen wir Ihnen jederzeit gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

i.A. Werner Buchert
Programmierung und Entwicklung
______________________________________