[ace-users] Support for database logging as backend

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Aug 24 09:09:01 CDT 2007

Hi Kailas,

> We are enhancing ACE logging to support database as backend.

Great!  To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler
information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem
report form (PRF), which is in

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

or in

$ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM

in older versions of ACE+TAO.  Make sure to include this information
when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to
"guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is
very error-prone and slows down our responsiveness.

> For this I need more information on separating out fields for each
> supported option(%t etc).  Currently all options are formatted into
> a string.  Can you please let me know how this can be achieved
> without breaking existing ACE code.

I'm not sure what you are asking.

> Also, can you please let me me know on how can callbacks be used for
> DB logging as backend?

I recommend you check out Chapter 3 of APG
<http://www.riverace.com/acebooks/index.htm#apg> for info on how to
use callbacks.  There are also examples in

ACE_ROOT/tests/Log_Msg_Backend_Test.cpp
ACE_ROOT/tests/Log_Msg_Test.cpp
ACE_ROOT/examples/Log_Msg/test_callback.cpp

that might be useful to check out.

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu