[ace-users] ACE_Task and ACE_Event_Handler

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Aug 29 07:55:01 CDT 2007

In article <1188391684.489286.232820 at d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> you write:
>Hello,
>
>I've implemented scheduler service that wakes up after some period of
>time and does scheduled jobs. I'm using ACE_Thread_Timer_Queue /
>ACE_Timer_Heap along with ACE_Event_Handler for framework. It works
>fine.
>Next thing that I tried is to make my job multi-threaded and I used
>ACE_Task based ThreadPool. I was starting thread pool in
>handle_timeout() function.

How are you starting a thread pool and why are you starting it in the
handle_timeout() function?!

>And I ran into 2 problems:
>1. When ThreadPool runs it blocks all timer signals so other scheduled
>jobs could not be started.

It sounds like you aren't allowing the main thread to run anymore once
you spawn the thread pool - hence the timer signals won't get to run.

>2. After ThreadPool is completed his job - it shuts down whole service
>without crushing.
>
>Maybe someone had similar puzzles?

It sounds like you're doing something wrong.

>System: Win32, ACE 5.4

Please upgrade to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.5.10 (i.e., ACE 5.5.10, TAO 1.5.10, and
CIAO 0.5.10), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit".

The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt
University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the
latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Thus, if you need more "predictable" help for earlier versions of
ACE+TAO, I recommend that you check out

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial
support.

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu