[ace-users] ACE-based project on Windows

Steve Huston shuston at riverace.com
Tue Jul 3 16:28:32 CDT 2007

Hi Gonzalo,

> Ok, thanks for the hints. It seems I can download a precompiled
> version of ACE 5.5 for Windows from the Riverace page; is this free?

There are no precompiled kits at this time.

> Another question: say I got my hands on a later version of ACE,
> compiled with VC8. Do you think it could work within VC6, for
> my project?

No.

> I think the binary formats (DLL, LIB, etc.) should not be a problem,
> but I am not so sure about the header files, which might have some
> advanced C++ usages that VC6 will choke on...

Right, that would probably be an issue, as well as the name mangling
formats have probably changed between VC6 and VC8 so, even if you
could compile it, the link would fail.

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Would you like ACE to run great on your platform?

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 11:30 -0400, Steve Huston wrote:
Hi Gonzalo,

> A warm hello to everyone,

Nice to hear from you!

> After a long pause, I may need to get involved on a development
> project using ACE on Windows (2003 server).

Great!

> I understand MSVC 6 support has been dropped for some time now,
> but that is what I have, so I would like to pose the following
questions:
> What is the latest ACE version that supported compilation on MSVC 6?

DOC 5.5.1 (the 5.5 "BFO" beta) has MSVC6. Riverace's 5.5 series also
has it (and will continue as long as we're doing 5.5 support).

> How long ago in time was this?

5.5.1 was about a year ago. Riverace 5.5b was within the past couple
of months.

> If I decide to update my tools, what is the current version of MSVC
> that I should use?

VC8 (Visual Studio .NET 2005)

> Would it be possible to download a free version of MSVC from the
> Internet?

Check msdn.microsoft.com - I believe there is a limited VC8 you can
download. I seem to recall there being some sort of SDK issue when
building ACE with the free version - check the ace-users archives for
this.

> I will be using a subset of ACE for my project; off the top of my
head:
> threads, acceptor and connector for two processes on the same
machine,
> and maybe NT service support.

Ok.

> Where can I read some docs regarding how to partition ACE to only
> have this subset of functionality?

You can check ACE_wrappers/docs/subsets.html - also check ace-users
archives - this comes up periodically. You can use the static lib
build to have the linker grab only what you are using - that's
probably the easiest.

Good luck!

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Would you like ACE to run great on your platform?
See http://www.riverace.com/sponsor.htm

--
Gonzalo Diethelm
gonzalo.diethelm at diethelm.org