[ace-users] ACE_Thread_Mutex + priority inheritance

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jul 17 05:55:21 CDT 2007

Hi Abdul,

>I sent this about 2 hours ago but it didn't make it to the list. Sending
>again.

It showed up last night and I replied.  Here's my reply again.

Thakns,

Hi Abdul,

   Thanks for using the PRF.

> ACE_VERSION: 5.5.9

> The constructor of ACE_Thread_Mutex is as follows:

> ACE_Thread_Mutex (const ACE_TCHAR *name=0, ACE_mutexattr_t
> *attributes=0)

> Notice that there is an optional argument called attributes. What
  I'm
> trying to find out if there is a portable way under real-time
  operating
> systems to have ACE_Thread_Mutex employ a priority inheritance
  protocol
> to avoid the potential for priority inversion.

> Is such a thing possible in ACE?

I don't think this is possible with ACE (yet), but it should probably
be
added, e.g., by creating a new ACE_Priority_Inheritance_Thread_Mutex
class that uses ACE_Thread_Mutex and sets this attributes parameter
portably!

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu