[ace-users] question about SSL communication and TCP communication

richard zhao rich4tech at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 14:10:05 CDT 2007

Hello, All,

  I am doing Client/Server network progarmming  by using ACE. Between Client and Server, I tried two kinds of connections, one connection is TCP connection and another one is SSL connection. through testing, I found TCP connection is much faster than SSL connection. For example, when I send some data by TCP connection, it will take 17s. however when I send same data by SSL connection. it will take 79s. I know SSL connection should be slower than TCP connection. do you think it should be so slow? what I did is as following:

  if (SSLConnection) //ssl connection
  {
        send_cnt = this->peer ().sendv_n (iov, 2);
  }
  else //TCP connnection
  {
        send_cnt = this->peer ().peer().sendv_n(iov, 2);
  }

  all code is same except for the above parts.

  thank you very much for your comments and suggestion in advance.

  Richard