[ace-users] ACE/TAO Logging

Michael T. Carter mcarter at swri.org
Wed Jul 18 08:44:50 CDT 2007

VERSION 1.4       VERSION 1.5
ACE: 5.4a_p13     ACE: 5.5.9
TAO: 1.4aPp13     TAO: 1.5.9

I have now updated my 1.5 versions to x.5.9.  I have even
updated my 1.4 version to patchlevel 13.

I am not really interested in support for the 1.4 version, even
though I do have projects using it.  Main reason I mentioned it
was the behavior difference of the dynamic logging between 1.4
and 1.5.

ACE 5.5.9 still "works" in that the original svc.conf is processed
and only allows the DEBUG, WARNING, and ERROR messages through.  The
reconfigure has the same problem in warning/error that the Logger is
already initialized (remove before re-initializing).

TAO 5.5.9 has the same problem as with 5.5.4.  It does not recognize
any thread priority settings in the svc.conf file.  With 1.4, at least
the reconfigure caused it to do something right, but with 5.5.* the
reconfigure give the warning/error message described above and I guess
the Logger is never really reconfigured.

Back to my original questions,

(1) why doesn't the TAO version (ORB_init) process the svc.conf file
    the first time around like the ACE_Service_Config::open does with
    just using ACE, and
(2) why doesn't the reconfigure actually work in the latest
    5.5* versions.

I took a peek at the source code where the "Remove before re-init..."
debug message is outputted and found the following comment in the
code comment:

  // If there is an active service already, it must first be removed,
  // before it could be re-installed.
  // IJ: This used to be the behavior, before allowing multiple
  // independent service repositories. Should that still be required?

So this may not be behaving as intended.
--
Michael