[ace-users] TAO IDL compiler error for "EventType"

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Jul 20 07:01:28 CDT 2007

Hi Terry,

> I am developing a distributed system on top of TAO. For a long time I
> get all TAO related knowledge from your Web. Could you answer me the
> question I met with TAO IDL compiler, or point me to the right
> contact?

Thanks very much for your email.  Please make sure to send all
questions related to TAO or ACE to the ACE mailing list or ACE+TAO
newsgroup, rather than to me directly since I travel frequently and
often don't have ready access to email.  See

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-mail.html

for more info on how to access these resources.

> I got IDL compiler error as below:
> "tao_idl: "./CosNotification.idl", line 26: spelling differs from IDL
> keyword only in case: "EventType""
> Per http://www.omg.org/issues/issue4901.txt, this could be easily fixed
> by editorial modification to the IDL.
> But I was told by client-side guy that error didn't happen when using
> other IDL compiler such as VisiBroker and Orbix, which
> means it is hard and late to modify the idl file. Now the question is:
> how can I suppress this keyword parsing? I tried "-Sm"
> but nothing changed.
>
> p.s.: my tao version:
> bash-2.05$ tao_idl -V
> tao_idl
> TAO_IDL_FE, version 1.4a_p16 (Based on Sun IDL FE, version 1.3.0)
> TAO_IDL_BE, version 1.4a_p16
>
> CosNotifiacation.idl segment:
>
> "
>     25
>     26          struct EventType {
>     27                  string domain_name;
>     28                  string type_name;
>     29          };
> "

Since you're using OCI's version of TAO I recommend sending your
questions to taosupport at ociweb.com since they provide excellent
commercial support for their releases of TAO.  Naturally, we encourage
and appreciate other members of the ACE+TAO user community who can
respond to questions about the OCI release if they have the answers.