[ace-users] Getting ACE_Reactor to suspend input processing

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:54:14 CDT 2007

Hi Jules,

   Thanks for using the PRF.

>    ACE VERSION: 5.5.1

In general, it's a good idea to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.5.9 (i.e., ACE 5.5.9,
TAO 1.5.9, and CIAO 0.5.9), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit".

The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt
University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the
latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Thus, if you need more "predictable" help for earlier versions of
ACE+TAO, I recommend that you check out

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial
support.

>    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:  Linux dev228
>2.6.17-1.2142_FC4smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 11 22:57:02 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386
>GNU/Linux
>
>=20
>
>    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
>
>    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):  g++ (GCC) 3.3.2
>
>=20
>
>    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform-
>
>    specific file, simply state which one]:  #include "config-linux.h"
>
>=20
>
>    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you
>
>    use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
>
>    (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
>
>    C++)]:  platform_linux.GNU
>
>=20
>
>    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
>
>    (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles):
>
>=20
>
>    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
>
>[What example failed?  What module failed to compile?]
>
>=20
>
>    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
>
>        COMPILATION?
>
>        LINKING?
>
>            On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first?
>
>        EXECUTION?
>
>        OTHER (please specify)?
>
>[Please indicate whether ACE, your application, or both are affected.]
>
>=20
>
>    SYNOPSIS:
>
>Can I use ACE_Reactor::suspend_handlers() (or some other function) to
>stop the Reactor from handling input events?

Yes, you can do that.  You might also simply stop calling the
Reactor's handle_input() method.

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu