[Ace-users] Help needed with CORBA wide strings in ACE/TAO and Borland C++

B. Quiat bquiat at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 21:47:04 CDT 2007

I"ve just assumed support of legacy applications written in Borland C++ v6
which use ACE/TAO orb for a corba interface to external systems.  The
external vendor recently changed their IDL to support corba wide strings.
Apparently this requires building ACE for both Unicode (for the IDL) and
non-Unicode (for TAO), then linking our app with tao_b.lib but ace_bu.lib.

-  Neither the latest release or beta builds of ACE/TAO build and install
correctly for Borland.  Does anyone have usable ACE/TAO libs and headers for
BCB6 that work with wide strings?

- What other orbs are there for easy integration with Borland and wide
string support? I tried Orbacus today but its readme refers to non-existent
Borland make files and its Microsoft makefile fails in MSC++ v6 (which it
claims to support).  Is there ANY C++ orb I can plug into Borland within one
day and get wide string support that works?