[ace-users] Trying to adding an ACE_TTY_IO handler to the reactor.

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Jun 15 09:49:51 CDT 2007

Hi Kim,

> 1) It enters into my Rs232Handler::Handle_signal() without any characters to available. (you can see the code in previous
> mail. I just exchanged the Handel_input() with Handle_signal() as suggested).

It's been a long time since I've deal with this stuff, but that sounds
like the behavior I recall on Windows if you use an I/O handle rather
than an event handle for serial I/O.

> 2) Yes; the reactor should enter sleep infinite or timed until an event happens. I ends up on WaitForMultipleObejcts();

Ok.

> 3) Do you refer to "Windows documentation on programming Serial ports" or some other documentation?

I would recommend you read the classic books on advanced Windows systems
programming by Jeff Richter, e.g.,

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Windows-Jeffrey-Richter/dp/1572315482

that explains how things work.

> So, ACE_TTY_IO is not able to be used as is with the reactor object without polling?

You may need to tweak stuff a bit to get this working, but it should be
doable.

> I have tried to look around for some solutions/examples without luck. Maybe someone have that knowledge? or seen a
> solution?

Have you checked out

ACE_ROOT/examples/Reactor/WFMO_Reactor

to see if there are any examples there that help?

take care,