[Ace-users] [tao-users] How to Build ACE+TAO with Visual Studio 6

Adam Mitz mitza at ociweb.com
Thu Nov 29 23:11:26 CST 2007

Hi Lalitha,

> I am a new user of TAO.
>
> I have obtained, configured, and built ACE and TAO on Windows with
> Visual C++ as per the instructions in the TAO FAQ.
>
> For this I have downloaded ACE+TAO-1.5a_with_latest_patches.zip from
> http://download.ociweb.com/TAO-1.5a/. I have used Microsoft Visual
> C++
> 7.1 for building (using the solution file:%TAO_ROOT%
> \TAO_ACE.sln).
>
> I am interested in using Visual Studio 6 for my development.Is it
> possible for me to use VC++6.0 for my further project
> development after having built ACE+TAO as described above?

It isn't supported and might actually be impossible.  Mixing libraries built
with different versions of the tools and using different C/C++ runtimes is
very difficult.  Compounding this difficulty is the fact that the code
generated by tao_idl may not work at all with VC6.

> If not, which version of ACE+TAO should I download and how can I
> build
> ACE and TAO using VC++6.0. Is there any step by step procedure
> available as in TPG or the FAQ

You can use 1.4a with VC6, see http://theaceorb.com/downloads/1.4a for the
download link (make sure to get the "1.4a current" version, that's the
latest patch).  The FAQ at
http://theaceorb.com/faq/index.html#HowToBuildACEandTAOonWindows contains
the step-by-step procedure, but you've already done this for 1.5a so you
know how.  Just replace TAO_ACE.sln with TAOACE.sln in 1.4a.

If you find that you need more recent features of TAO in the 1.4a branch (or
other custom development), you can contact us at sales at ociweb.com to arrange
for a support contract.

Thanks,
Adam Mitz