[Ace-users] [tao-announce] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.6 now available

Johnny Willemsen jwillemsen at remedy.nl
Mon Sep 3 07:55:16 CDT 2007

Hi all,

Thanks to the substantial efforts by many developers, testers, and
users, we are pleased to announce the latest ACE+TAO+CIAO x.6 release,
which is available from the same download location as per the previous
release at

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/

under the heading "Latest Release".

The doxygen documentation for the release is also available.  The
prebuild cidlc binaries will be available tomorrow. In addition to
the packages combined of sources and generate makefiles, this release
also provides source-only packages for the group of users who
use MPC to generate their own makefiles.

We encourage you to download the new release, use it with your
applications, and let us know if you encounter any problems. Please use
the:

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

so that we have the proper version/platform/compiler/options you're
using to report problems. We also request that you take a look at:

$TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/

for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC groups of WashU,
UCI, and Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO forward.  Overviews of our
recent progress and upcoming plans are available at:

$ACE_ROOT/NEWS
$TAO_ROOT/NEWS
$CIAO_ROOT/NEWS

The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our
daily builds is 98% for the ACE tests and 95% for the TAO tests.  Please
see:

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/

for a summary of these tests.  As always, we appreciate your help in
resolving any remaining problems. Please see:

ACE_ROOT/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

for an overview of our bug fixing policies.

The following is a list of key changes since the last beta. Please
refer to the corresponding ChangeLog files, NEWS files or Bugzilla
entries for more details on the problem and the nature of fixes applied.

==============
Changes to ACE
==============

. OpenVMS 8.3 on IA64 port

. Added autoconf support for Intel C++ 10.0

. Improved autoconf support on Linux, Solaris, NetBSD and HPUX

. CodeGear C++ Builder 2007 Update 2 support

. The netsvcs's client logging daemon has a new configuration option,
  -llocal-ip[:local-port], which can be used to specify the local IP
  address and port number for the client logging daemon's connection to
  the server logging daemon. If the -l option is specified with an IP
  address but not a port number, an unused port number is selected.

. A new ACE+TAO port to LabVIEW RT 8.2 with Pharlap ETS. The host build
  environment is Windows with Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 (VC7.1).
  Please see the ACE-INSTALL.html file for build instructions.

==============
Changes to TAO
==============

. Added a new interface that allows monitoring of activities within the
  Notification Service.  Completely configurable through the Service
  Configurator, the monitoring capabilities are only in effect when chosen
  by the user.  When the monitoring capabilities are enabled, an outside
  user can connect to a service that allows querying statistics gathered by
  the Notification Service.

. Moved the BufferingConstraintPolicy to the Messaging lib

. Made it possible to disable not needed IOR parsers to reduce footprint

. Reworked several files to get a smaller footprint with CORBA/e and
  Minimum CORBA. This could lead to a reduction of more then 20% then
  with previous releases

. Removed the Domain library, it was not used at all and only
  contained generated files without implementation

============== Changes to CIAO ==============

. Added support for building CIAO statically with Microsoft Visual C++

. Fixes to idl3_to_idl2 conversion tool, which
  - handle the mapping of IDL identifiers that are
    escaped (due to a clash with an IDL keyword) or
    that clash with a C++ keyword
  - handle the mapping of #includes of IDL files
    that aren't themselves processed by the tool

==================
Bugzilla Bug Fixes

ACE bugs fixed:

293, 1581, 1794, 2006, 2151, 2152, 2344, 2476, 2742, 2836, 2840, 2894, 2905,
2917, 2943, 3008, 3012, 3015, 3021, 3038, 3044

TAO bugs fixed:

1972, 2253, 2681, 2829, 2877, 2934, 2935, 2938, 2968, 2991, 3017, 3018,
3022,
3026, 3033, 3040, 3042, 3043, 3046

CIAO bugs fixed:

3060