[ace-users] checking application for memory leaks

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Sep 18 19:59:04 CDT 2007

Hi Kim,

Thanks for using the PRF!

>     ACE VERSION: 5.5.7

Please upgrade to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.6 (i.e., ACE 5.6, TAO 1.6, and CIAO
0.6), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Release."

The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt
University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the
latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Thus, if you need more "predictable" help for earlier versions of
ACE+TAO, I recommend that you check out

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial
support.

>     HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
>
> i386 WinXP
>
>     COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
>
>             VS8
>
>     THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform-
>
>     specific file, simply state which one]:
>
>     THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you
>
>     use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
>
>     (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
>
>     C++)]:
>
>     CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
>
>     (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles):
>
>     AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
>
>     DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
>
>         COMPILATION?
>
> Yes
>
>         LINKING?
>
>             On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first?
>
>         EXECUTION?
>
>         OTHER (please specify)?
>
> [Please indicate whether ACE, your application, or both are affected.]
>
>     SYNOPSIS:
>
>             Build is failing

>             When checking for memoryleaks on Win you include:
>
> #define _CRTDBG_MAP_ALLOC
>
> #include <stdlib.h>
>
> #include <crtdbg.h>
>
>             In your main file
>
>             Trying to define and include these, make the build fail.
>
>             How can I check for memoryleaks using ACE?

It's not clear what problems you're having.  Can you please provide the
output you're seeing?