[ace-users] Windows Socket problem

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Sep 27 21:30:06 CDT 2007

Hi Jeffrey,

>I found a workaround but I do not understand the cause of the problem.
>When I change
>

>int ACE_TMAIN (int argc, ACE_TCHAR *argv[])
>{

>int main ()
>{
>   ACE::init();
>
>and
>
>    return 0;

>  ACE::fini();
>  return (0);
>
>the problem goes away.
>
>I thought ACE_TMAIN kept me from having to call init and fini.
>Obviously I did something wrong, can someone explain?

It's hard to say since you're using an old version of ACE.  If you
upgrade to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.6.1 (i.e., ACE 5.6.1, TAO 1.6.1, and CIAO
0.6.1) and look at the various ACE socket examples in

ACE_ROOT/tests/
ACE_ROOT/examples/IPC_SAP/SOCK_SAP/

you'll see that the use ACE_TMAIN and work just fine.  You can
download ACE 5.6.1 from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit."

Take care,