[Ace-users] [ace-users] Notification Service Network Disconnect

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Mon Feb 4 08:27:11 CST 2008

Hi Jack,

>I am new to ACE/TAO and CORBA and I am having a problem understanding
>the QoS policies.

Welcome!  To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler
information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem
report form (PRF), which is in

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

or in

$ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM

in older versions of ACE+TAO.  Make sure to include this information
when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to
"guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is
very error-prone and slows down our responsiveness.  If you don't use
the PRF, therefore, it is less likely that someone from the core
ACE+TAO developer team will be able to answer your question.
Naturally, we encourage and appreciate other members of the ACE+TAO
user community who can respond to questions that they have the answers
to.

> I have a server running on Fedora Core Linux and
>two separate clients running on windows machines.  The server
>application connects to the notification service and the clients
>receive dispatches.  This all seems to work fine.  At first, if I
>killed one of my client applications, the other application would stop
>receiving dispatches.  When I implemented the QoS Timeout feature
>along with the ThreadPool and DispatchThreads, my secondary client
>continues to receive the dispatches as it should.  Unfortunately, I
>noticed that if I disconnect the Ethernet cable to one of the clients,
>the client that is still connected, once again, stops receiving
>dispatches.  If I reconnect the cable, it takes up to two minutes to
>begin receiving again.  Is this a configuration problem with the
>notification service? or is there something in the underlying linux
>that I need to be looking at?

This sounds to me like something at the Linux level rather than the
TAO and TAO Notification Service level.  OCI folks, do you have any
thoughts about this?

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu