[Ace-users] [tao-users] tao_idl and enum

Sowayan, Abdullah (N-DUA) abdullah.sowayan at lmco.com
Tue Feb 5 01:27:17 CST 2008

Hi,

> I am using TAO1.5 and when i compile a IDL file containing following
> enumeration
>
> enum test{false=0,true=1};
>
> it throws error saying "Illegal syntax following enum body statement"
>
> but i remove explicit assignment in enum like
>
> enum test{false,true};
>
> this works properly
>
> Any idea why the first syntax is not allowed?

Yes, because it is not legal IDL ;-) You can not assign a value to an
enum, because not all programming languages allow that (IDL is mapped to
a programming language construct after all).

For these sorts of questions, I would suggest you refer to a good CORBA
book. I would suggest "Advanced CORBA programming with C++"

Abdul