[Ace-users] [tao-users] [Fwd: Re: PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM - nsdel syntax problem]

Adam Mitz mitza at ociweb.com
Mon Feb 25 09:27:47 CST 2008

> Adam,
>
> Just some more info to the previous problem. My application doesn't
> use nsadd to add a new binding to the Naming Service; it does it
> internally as an extra argument to its main() line. But I traced
> through the code in nsadd and my application, and there didn't seem to
> be any glaring differences (to me anyway).
>
> Oddly enough, when I use nsadd, ndel can sucessfully remove the
> binding, but my Java client application fails to start. The naming
> context successfully resolves the the name, but when I try to narrow
> the returned object I get a class cast exception. And of course, the
> binding added to the naming context by my application can't be
> removed, but narrow() in the client succeeds.
>
> To humour myself, I replaced the current (5.5.6) nsdel.cpp with the
> 5.4a version and recompiled the utility. Voila, success. I guess it
> may be time to upgrade my 1.2a Developer's Guide. How current is the
> 1.4a documentation (http://www.theaceorb.com/product/
> index.html#doc1.4a)?

I'm not sure we can debug any of these issues over the mailing list.
I hope you saw my post from last week (Friday I think) where I noted a
limitation of nsdel, when the bound IOR is not reachable.

Note that you have essentially "downgraded" your nsdel because TAO 1.4a
is based off of the DOC group 1.4.3 release, and you were previously
using 1.5.6.  (The ACE version numbers start with 5, TAO starts with 1).

1.4a is the latest edition of the Developer's Guide.  There is also a
1.5a release which does not have a corresponding Developer's Guide, but
the info in the devguide is also generally applicable to 1.5a.  All the
OCI releases of TAO are open source and freely available to the
community.  For any OCI-specific questions please write to sales at ociweb.com.

Thanks,
Adam Mitz
Software Engineer