[Ace-users] [tao-users] Just a quick MPC question

Jules Colding colding at 42tools.com
Tue Jan 15 09:17:02 CST 2008

Hi Chad,

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 09:09 -0600, Chad Elliott wrote:
> Hi Jules,
>
> Jules Colding wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to tell MPC that it should never accept the "-type automake" when
> > generating output files from any of my mpc files.
> >
> > My top-level mwc file currently looks like this:
> >

> > ############################
> > workspace(lorica) {
> >   cmdline += -include src
> >
> >   src/OCI/AsynchProxyTools.mpc
> >   src/lorica/lorica_Client.mpc
> >   src/lorica/lorica_EvaluatorBase.mpc
> >   src/lorica/lorica_GenericEvaluator.mpc
> >   src/proxy/proxy.mpc
> > }
> > ############################
> >

> > So to make MPC deny making automake files, but otherwise work just like
> > above, I could do this:
> >
> > ############################
> > workspace(lorica) {
> >   cmdline += -include src
> >
> >   exclude(automake) {
> >     src/OCI/AsynchProxyTools.mpc
> >     src/lorica/lorica_Client.mpc
> >     src/lorica/lorica_EvaluatorBase.mpc
> >     src/lorica/lorica_GenericEvaluator.mpc
> >     src/proxy/proxy.mpc
> >   }
> > }
> > ############################
> >
> > Right?
> >

> That will work.  However it won't stop some one from generating with the
> automake type without your workspace.
>
> Wanting to deny a particular project type has never come up before.

I suspected so ;-)

I want to keep using MPC on Windows, but I have done a lot of work in my
other projects to enable easy generation of RPMs, DEBs, ebuilds etc on
specific Linux distributions. It is way easier for me to re-use this
work than to adapt it to MPC, however elegant that would be.

>  But
> you could possibly do the following in each of your projects to ensure
> that automake can't be used:
>
> project {
>   Source_Files {
>     conditional(automake) {
>     } else {
>       *.cpp
>     }
> }
>
> This assumes that each project has it's own directory and that there are
> no generated cpp files.

Unfortunately there are (i.e. IDL files). I think I'll just let the
"exclude" thing stand and tell that anyone not using the workspace may
do harm if they generate automake files.

Thanks a lot,
  jules