[Ace-users] [tao-users] Bug in CosNotifyFilter::Filter::add_constraints()

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jan 21 10:20:30 CST 2008

Hi Wernke,

   Thanks very much for using the PRF.

>     ACE VERSION: 5.5a_p4

Since you're using OCI's version of TAO I recommend sending your
questions to taosupport at ociweb.com since they provide excellent
commercial support for their releases of TAO.  Naturally, we encourage
and appreciate other members of the ACE+TAO user community who can
respond to questions about the OCI release if they have the answers.

You may also want to consider upgrading to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.6 (i.e., ACE
5.6, TAO 1.6, and CIAO 0.6), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit".

The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt
University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the
latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Thus, if you need more "predictable" help for earlier versions of
ACE+TAO, I recommend that you check out

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial
support.

>     HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: n/a
>
>     TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
>     COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): n/a
>
>     CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h [if you use a link to a platform-
>     specific file, simply state which one]: n/a
>
>     CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU [if
> you
>     use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
>     (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
>     C++)]: n/a
>
>     CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
>     (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles): n/a
>
>     LEVEL OF URGENCY (LOW, MEDIUM, or HIGH): MEDIUM
>
>     AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: CosNotifyFilter::Filter
>
>       Return structure of CosNotifyFilter::Filter::add_constraints()
>       is not properly populated. The member ConstraintInfo.constraint_id
>
>       remains unset.
>
>     DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
>         COMPILATION? no
>         LINKING? no
>             On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first?
>         EXECUTION? yes
>         OTHER (please specify)?
>
>     SYNOPSIS:
>         Random content of return value ConstraintInfo.constraint_id
>         upon call of CosNotifyFilter::Filter::add_constraints().

>       Return structure of CosNotifyFilter::Filter::add_constraints()
>       is not properly populated. The member ConstraintInfo.constraint_id
>
>       remains unset.
>
>       Source code in
> ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs/Notify/ETCL_Filter.cpp
>       clearly shows that the struct member does not get populated.
>
>     REPEAT BY:
>       In the Filter example
> ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs/examples/Notify/Filter
>       evaluate the return value of add_constraints() in Filter.cpp, line
> 163.
>       The member constraint_id will show a random value.
>
>     SAMPLE FIX/WORKAROUND:

If you have a suggestion on how to fix this problem please let OCI know.
If it's still a problem with TAO 1.6.2 please let us know, as well.