[Ace-users] do I need ace ?

apm35 at student.open.ac.uk apm35 at student.open.ac.uk
Fri Jan 25 02:41:43 CST 2008

On 24 Jan, 15:14, Stéphane ANCELOT <sance... at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to know if ace will solve my problem :
> I want to develop a master raw socket interface to an industrial
> ethernet bus with linux.

I presume your app is to be coded in C++. Please confirm.

> This implies I will have to write the protocol and setup some services
> function depending on the command received from some ethernet slaves .
>
> Is ace for me ?

I recommend it. IMO it provides VERY useful IPC abstractions and
certainly provides all I think you will need for most kinds of socket
programming. AFAIK there is nothing to help with your specific
problems but using ACE would be MUCH better than using BSD sockets
directly. A nice side benefit is that your application would also be
much more portable. It might not help right now but it doesnt hurt and
it could help later on.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow