[Ace-users] [ace-users] Tie Appraoch using TAO

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Mon Mar 3 09:56:20 CST 2008

Hi Anirudh,

>Thank you for the reply and the pth to TIE implementation ...

You are quite welcome.

>The reason I did not send PRF is cause I think the problem has nothing
>to do with platform/compiler

Please always use the PRF.

>Does your reply effectively mean, that I cannot use TAO using multiple
>inheritance and the only approach is using TIE methodology?

No, it means that you really need to know what you are doing when
using multiple inheritence, whereas with the TIE approach you don't
need to know as much.

>Also I am integrating a CORBA component into an old existing project.
>It already has a make file and I have to modify it for idl
>dependencies. So I shall not be using mpc to create a make file. Is
>there a sample for writing make by simply using ACE macro files
>include directly and not using MPC?

Good question - the older OCI TAO Developer's guides may discuss
this.  Please see

http://www.theaceorb.com/product/index.html

for info on all the OCI TAO Developer Guides.

>Please find PRF below. I am aware it is a comercial license but prefer
>to use this channel as it is more for my curosity.

Since you're using OCI's version of TAO I recommend sending your
questions to taosupport at ociweb.com since they provide excellent
commercial support for their releases of TAO.  Naturally, we encourage
and appreciate other members of the ACE+TAO user community who can
respond to questions about the OCI release if they have the answers.

You may also want to consider upgrading to ACE+TAO+CIAO x.6 (i.e., ACE
5.6.3, TAO 1.6.3, and CIAO 0.6.3), which you can download from

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu

under the heading: "Latest Beta Kit".

The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt
University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the
latest release, as described in

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/DOC_ROOT/ACE/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

Thus, if you need more "predictable" help for earlier versions of
ACE+TAO, I recommend that you check out

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial
support.

Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt at vanderbilt.edu