[ace-users] .obj file permissions and ACE+TAO

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Jan 6 14:18:11 CST 2016

Hi David,

> I really didn't know where to ask such a question and actually get an
> answer other than contacting you directly. I'm using MPC to generate
> my GNUmake files for our ACE+TAO project on our highways project in
> Israel and had a specific problem that I haven't been able to resolve
> and I thought I would ask you directly.
>
> My object files are always stored in a sub-directory within each
> project with .obj\*. However I'm trying to use this in a multi-user
> environment and all the files do not have group write permissions
> enabled so if a single user builds a project and another user tries to
> build it it fails because the user doesn't have the original users
> permissions.
>
> I was wondering if there is a way in the MPC file to specify the
> permissions of the output object files with g+rw permissions. Or maybe
> a postcommand that I could have it change the permissions for the
> entire folder once the build has completed.
>
> In any case any help you may provide to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for your email.  Please send all questions related to
ACE mailing list or newsgroup, rather than to me directly since I travel
frequently and often don't have ready access to email.  See

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/ACE-mail.html

for more info on how to access these resources.

In addition, to ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler
information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem
report form (PRF), which is in

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

or in

$ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM

in older versions of ACE.  Make sure to include this information when
asking any questions since otherwise we have to "guess" what
version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is very
error-prone and slows down our responsiveness.  If you don't use the
PRF, therefore, it is less likely that someone from the core developer
team will be able to answer your question.  Naturally, we encourage and
appreciate other members of the ACE user community who can respond to
questions that they have the answers to.

If you need more "predictable" help please see

for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE
commercial support.

Thanks very much,

        Doug