[ace-users] Anyone building with C++11?

Adam Mitz mitza at ociweb.com
Fri Jan 6 15:09:56 CST 2017

Hi Mark,

On 1/6/2017 2:49 PM, Ludwig, Mark wrote:

> Is anyone building ACE with C++11?

Yes, the default with GCC 6.x is to have C++11 enabled, and we do
sponsor a scoreboard build of ACE+TAO using the very latest GCC
release.  Recent releases of Microsoft Visual C++ have portions of C++11
enabled by default, and we also sponsor a scoreboard build using the
latest released  VC++ compiler.

> Has anyone thought about which (whether?) C++11 features obviate ACE
> abstractions?

If/when the C++ standard gets the ASIO-like functionality, it will be
interesting discussion.  Until then, the sorts of ACE programs we work
with (see opendds.org) need the Reactor/Proactor, socket wrappers,
timers, etc.

Thanks
Adam Mitz
Principal Software Engineer