[ace-users] ACE: TCP related issues in ACE/TAO - 6.4.6

Umarani Saravanan -X (umsarava - HCL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED at Cisco) umsarava at cisco.com
Sat Mar 3 01:15:15 CST 2018

    ACE VERSION: 6.4.6

    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:

Linux, RHEL and CentOS

    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: Same as HOST
    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):

    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform-
    specific file, simply state which one]:

#include "ace/config-linux.h"

    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you
    use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
    (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
    C++)]:

     include $(ACE_ROOT)/include/makeinclude/platform_linux.GNU

    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features
    (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles):

    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
[What example failed?  What module failed to compile?]

    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
        COMPILATION? NO
        LINKING? NO
            On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first?
        EXECUTION? YES
        OTHER (please specify)?
[Please indicate whether ACE, your application, or both are affected.]

    SYNOPSIS:
     TCP related issues with ACE/TAO 6.4.6

Step 1 : We downloaded the ACE/TAO source code version 6.4.6
Step 2: We did a build of this version 6.4.6 in our environment (linux glibc)
Step 3: We integrated this ACE/TAO library 6.4.6 version in to our SW application.
Step 4: We were validating our use cases.

Issues seen:

1)      When there is a an extern TCP buffer based request that comes to our SW (handled via ACE layer), randomly we see that the TCP request doesn't get completed with the proper handshakes and the SW application doesn't get known to this request. (We confirmed this with the help of TCP Packet captures)

2)      Also, the source that sends the TCP request, waits for a response from the SW (ACE Layer) that doesn't come though.

3)      But we don't see this problem with the ACE/TAO version (5.8.0). To note, we've done the same steps stated above while using the 5.8.0 version as well.

4)      Is there a known limitation/bug with the version 6.4.6 with respect to this TCP message handling.

5)      Please provide your feedback on this.

Note: This problem is observed in both RHEL and CentOS 32bit and 64 bit.

    REPEAT BY:
[What you did to get the error; include test program or session
transcript if at all possible.  ]

    SAMPLE FIX/WORKAROUND:
[If available ]