[ciao-users] Multithreaded dance_locality_manager method call dispatcher?

William Otte wotte at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Wed May 13 08:58:32 CDT 2015

Hi Kai -

Thanks for using the PRF.  I discarded your message to tao-users, in
order to keep this discussion in the appropriate forum, but cleared your
moderate flag for that list as well.

On 13 May 2015, at 8:37, kai-uwe.schieser at diehl.com wrote:

> CIAO VERSION: 1.2.3
> TAO VERSION : 2.2.3
> ACE VERSION : 6.2.3
>
> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
> Windows 7
>
> $ACE_ROOT/ace/config-win32.h
>
> THE PROBLEM AFFECTS: Execution
>
> TAO/CIAO are affected.
>
> SYNOPSIS:
> Multithreaded dance_locality_manager method call dispatcher?
> Interface calls to components in an single dance_locality_manager are
> dispatched single threaded.

> Hi there!
> I am using CIAO as CCM implementation and have the following problem:
> So far I deploy my components on a local machine (localhost) and they
> are
> running in a single dance_locality_manager process. It seems that all
> incoming interface calls (and also intercomponent calls) are
> dispatched by
> a single thread in the dance_locality_manager. This is a problem
> because
> some interface calls need long processing time. I would like to call
> more
> interface methods in parallel. Is there a TAO ORB option to enable
> some
> kind of multithreaded dispatching?
> Thanks in advance, Kai.

That is certainly possible using a svc.conf file (I'll refer you to the
TAO documentation for the details on that, but can dig it up if you are
still interested).  It is, however, not currently a currently tested
(and thus not supported) configuration, and I don't know if there will
be unintended side effects.

A better solution to your problem is to explicitly design for
asynchronous behavior for such long-running method calls using AMI4CCM
(https://github.com/DOCGroup/ATCD/tree/master/CIAO/connectors/ami4ccm).

hth,
/-Will