[cosmic-users] Re: Questions about using CoSMIC

Krishnakumar B kitty at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Thu May 25 13:50:57 CDT 2006

Hi Bill,

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 06:10:17 PM -0500, Douglas C. Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
>         Can you please reply to the questions from
> Bill David <billdavidcn at gmail.com> in Kitty and Gan's absence?!
>
>         Thanks,
>
>                 Doug
>
> In article <1145846200.747360.46090 at i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> you write:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Q1.The default Home function generated by
>>> %COSMIC_ROOT%/bin/idl_to_picml is something like:
>>> "create" + component_name + "Home" + "_Impl"/"_Servant"
>>> while the default Home function generated with
>>> %CIAO_ROOT%/bin/generate_component_mpc.pl is something like:
>>> "create_" + module_name + "_" + component_name + "Home" +
>>> "_Impl"/"_Servant"
>>> It means we must make them consistent manually?
>>> Is there any way to specify the default Home function name when
>>> creating the project files or running idl_to_picml?

This should have been fixed.  The name generated by the CIDL compiler was
changed.  So it's likely that the version of the idl_to_picml.exe that you
had is old.

>>> Q2.If we can import information from cidl files, it may be easier for
>>> us to use CoSMIC. To write the .cidl files is much easier than drawing
>>> the relationship out in CoSMIC. Do you have plan to add this feature?

There isn't any benefit to importing CIDL files into the model(yet).  It
might be worthwhile to automatically generate the CIDL elements as well
from the IDL importer so that it is not tedious.

>>> Q3.No change is made to the DeploymentPlan view after we connect
>>> ComponentRef and CollocationGroup. I think we need some visible guide
>>> after we make this operation. Why not just drag the
>>> ComponentImplementation to the CollocationGroup to connect them just
>>> like what we have done to ComponentRef and ComponentImpl?

This is a quirk of using GME's set mode.  There is no way getting around
it, but I am surprised that you mention lack of visible guide.  Are you
sure that you have compiled PICML's decorator?  Jeff fixed this problem
long ago.  BTW, which version of CoSMIC are you using?

>>> Q4.What's the difference between "DeploymentPlan descriptors" and
>>> "Flattend DeploymentPlan"?

The difference is historic and not worth knowing.  BTW, a deployment plan
is *flat*.  Always.  So *flattened deployment plan* doesn't make sense.
This should also get fixed in the next release of CoSMIC.

>>> When I use these two functions in CoSMIC, they will generate files with
>>> same file name, but the latter file is much more elaborate than the
>>> former. It seems the former format is useless for us.

It is not useful anymore.  It used to be sometime in the past...

Hope this helps.

-kitty.

--
Krishnakumar B <kitty at dre dot vanderbilt dot edu>
Institute for Software Integrated Systems, Dept. of EECS, Vanderbilt University