[cosmic-users] Modeling + IORs

Sowayan, Abdullah (N-DUA) abdullah.sowayan at lmco.com
Wed Apr 18 17:28:02 CDT 2007

CosMIC Version: 0.5.7

An example would better explain my point. Consider
$CIAO_ROOT/docs/tutorial/Quoter/Simple example in the distrubtion

We have a Stock Broker with the following IDL:

  component StockBroker supports StockSubscriber
  {
    consumes StockName notify_in;
    uses StockQuoter read_quoter;
  };

Assume that I added an attribute to StockBroker, perhaps a string to
assign the StockBroker a unique name.

Now, assume I have 3 StockBrokers; so I instantiate 3 components in
CosMIC. Everything works, life is great :-). However, if I actually need
the IORs for some reason, life is not so easy anymore. Under the current
CosMIC scheme, all 3 StockBrokers would have the same IOR file name,
namely StockBroker.ior. There is no way for me in the model to assign
them separate IOR names. The only way I can get around this is to
hand-edit the generated XML file, and I would lose the modifications
every time I change the model and regenerate XML descriptors.

IOR names get assigned in the ComponentImplementations section of
CosMIC. Perhaps this is not the appropriate place to assign IOR names.
Maybe we should consider setting such an attribute on the component
instance instead.

Thanks,
Abdul