FW: Bug/s: redirecting references in instances

GME GME
Tue Feb 25 17:15:42 CST 2003

----------
From: 	Akos Ledeczi
Sent: 	Tuesday, February 25, 2003 11:15:41 AM
To: 	GME Group
Subject: 	RE: Bug/s: redirecting references in instances
Auto forwarded by a Rule

Well, you asked for it ;-) The OO analogy is exactly what
is supported right now: if you have a reference to a certain
object, you can only redirect that reference in subtypes or
instances to subtypes or instances of that object... That is
if you have a CShit pointer, you can only assign CShit
objects to it.

Akos

-----Original Message-----
From: GME Group
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 11:10 AM
To: GME List
Subject: FW: Bug/s: redirecting references in instances

> ----------
> From: 	Sandeep Neema
> Sent: 	Tuesday, February 25, 2003 11:10:20 AM
> To: 	GME Group
> Subject: 	RE: Bug/s: redirecting references in instances
> Auto forwarded by a Rule

I definitely think that some form of reference redirection is required, whether it is only allowed for null references OR for non-null references is what should be debated. In my view it should be allowed for non-null references also. I am basing this on the class-object analogy, where classes can contain a pointer member, which could be defaulted to something (null or non-null) in the constructor, and the object is allowed to change the pointer to somewhere else (any object of the same kind).

Sandeep

--
Dr. Sandeep Neema
Research Scientist,