GME and Memory...

Peter Volgyesi xvolgy at isis-server.isis.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Mar 28 12:28:27 CST 2003

----------
From: 	Peter Volgyesi[SMTP:XVOLGY at ISIS-SERVER.ISIS.VANDERBILT.EDU]
Sent: 	Friday, March 28, 2003 5:28:27 AM
To: 	GME Group
Subject: 	Re: GME and Memory...
Auto forwarded by a Rule

> I have discovered something that may be of worth:
> Is this consistent with most MFC apps?  I noted also that if I restore
> the GME window, that my memory does not climb back up to 30MB
In the upcoming release I'm going to implement the new feature: GME will
periodically minimize and immediately restore itself for conserving memory.
:)

One thing to note: the "Mem Usage" column in the Task Manager is a bit
tricky (and misnomer). The proper name for that column should be "Working
Set Size". The Working Set is the set of memory pages touched recently by
the threads in the process, therefore (probably, but not necessarily) this
entire area is in the physical memory.
The allocated memory is called "Private Memory Size" or "VM Size". This is
the entire area allocated by the software.
So, when you are minimizing an application, the application itself won't
free a piece of byte (the Private Memory Size will remain unchanged), but
the working size will be smaller, since the GUI threads are paused.

--
peter