[gme-users] Java BON interface question and wishlist

Gabor Szokoli szokoli at ps.uni-sb.de
Mon Apr 5 12:33:02 CDT 2004

Hello!

I'm trying to use the Java BON interface, but I'm no good at it, I can't
even get the values of attributes:
getAttribute returns false no matter what I do.
I give myself 99% chance to be wrong, and 0.9% to you guys comparing
strings using the == operator instead of the equals method somewhere. :-)

Thanks for any ideas, see attached meta, instance, and interpreter
source for a "Hello World" example...

And here's my wish list so far, you may fulfill it in any order you like
:-))
I suppose some of the things I'm missing are probably there already, but
I can't find them:

Java BON interface:

-Ensure availability of org.isis.gme (what's wrong with
edu.vanderbilt.isis.gme anyway? All letters legal, unlike us...)
packages independently from the value of the $CLASSPATH environment
variable.
-Consider using Integer instead of int, and some abstract supertype for
containers instead of the current implementation (java.util.Vector) in
the interface.
-You could use exceptions or the null value instead of "error codes" to
get rid of "pass by reference":
Object getAttribute(String name) throws NoSuchAttribute
and then people can cast for themselves, or
Integer getIntAttrib(String attribName)
String getStringAttrib(String attribName)
-It does not seem possible to reach in-root-folder atoms from the JBuilder.
(Why would I do that? To make the simplest, non-recursive "Hello World"
model :-) )
-Could you please, pretty please drop the "J" prefix from class names?

JavaComponentRegister dialog:

-Add file selector to "classpath" field, make resiliant to M$ directory
layout fsckups like spaces in directory names.
-A "Validate" button?
-We would need to feed command line options to the JVM running the
interpreter for bytecode from the Scala compiler, could you add a
textfield for that? (we could hide and wrap the real java.exe, but that
would look odd in deployments :-) )
Other people might need this feature for logger configuration, memory
options, profiling, etc.

Java interpreter execution:

-The thread responsible for redrawing the GME GUI seems to be blocked
during java interpreter execution?
-Interpreter stdout and stderr output seem to be lost, they would look
nice in the log.

That's all for now :-)

May the Unholy Ghost of C programming take longer and more frequent
coffee breaks from haunting your poor skulls!