[gme-users] Library names and connection strings

Larry Howard howardlp at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Wed Apr 28 07:44:35 CDT 2004

The use of the connection string as an attached library's name is a phenomenally bad choice.  (Indeed, it smells like a hack.)  First, users can easily rename them, but then the knowledge of the connection string is apparently lost.   Second, application designers may wish to make libraries available as part of their GME-based application and "hide" their locations.

Once upon a time I requested and was given the ability to rename attached libraries programmatically.   What I was unaware of until just this minute is that GME's "Refresh Library" service is then unusable.

I propose that GME permanently separate an attached library's name from its location.

lph