[gme-users] open source license request

Woods, Van NWS Van.Woods at nws02.usace.army.mil
Thu Feb 12 19:51:56 CST 2004

Hello all, and congrats on a great tool!!  I am very impressed.

My intent is to use this tool in my research to see how it might be
possible to use GME as an early conceptual design tool for architects to
be able to model design criteria and their dependencies between them. I
very much like the system architecture from what I understand so far,
especially the extensibility and use of OCL.  Very good decisions in my
opinion.  One extension that I'd like to see is to render the contents
of a node in the node's icon as a bitmap, therefore giving a miniature
snapshot of its contents.  This would be great for state diagrams for
example.  Secondly, I am interested in in-place rendering and editing of
a node's attributes, ie a table inside of the node of attribute-value
pairs with the twist that derived attributes could be visually linked so
users could ascertain visually where attribute dependencies are.

My most important question however before I jump in is whether or not
you intend to open source GME.  I saw a previous post mention that the
licensing has not yet been determined, and I wanted to offer my vote for
any type of open source license as I would be interested in contributing
time and effort from my research project towards this effort.  I am
leary of jumping into projects where I don't have any assurance that if
there is a problem I need addressed quickly that I can take care of it
myself (on my management's timeframe :), and secondly, if open source I
have greater confidence that over time I can address issues even if the
original developers have moved on to 'greener' pastures.

Thanks for the consideration!

Best regards,

-Van

    Van Woods, Research Architect
    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    Engineer Research and Development Center
    Construction Engineering Research Laboratory
    206-764-3614