[gme-users] Question Regarding References

Stefan Marte stefanmarte at yahoo.de
Fri Jul 9 16:53:56 CDT 2004

Hi again!

since the first question was answered so quickly, I
have another one. This one is related to references
and connections.

I have one model describing geogr. locations and
another one describing Business Units and their
relationship. Now I want to make a third model
describing the relationship between business units and
locations. In the metamodel I specify a model which
contains references to locations and Business units
and a new connection between those references. so far
so easy.

The problem is, I might want to show in the new model
that location A and location B are both part of
location C. while i could express this as a port, this
only works with a hierarchy of two levels. What I am
looking for is a way to express a containment or
connection between references, where the actual
relation has been specified elsewhere.

I have experimented with references to connections,
but found no way to actually use them in a model.

the problem I am looking at is actually quite generic,
as I (and i assume many other people) am used to
creating models by first starting off with a sort of
clone of the surrounding environment before specifing
the new parts. Most UML tools I have worked with work
this way (drop a few existing classes in the diagram
and the associations between them are shown
automagically, i would sette for having to create them
manually because for clarity I may not want all
existing associations shown).

Is there any way to make this happen in GME?

Greetings

Stefan