[gme-users] Setting environment variables of install location

Krishnakumar B kitty at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Fri May 14 00:03:02 CDT 2004

Hi,

For ACE/TAO/CIAO development, we have a powerful tool called
MakeProjectCreator (MPC), which automagically generates all the files
necessary to build a software project. For example, on Linux MPC generates
all the Makefiles; on Windows it can generate project files, workspaces
files for compilers from Microsoft (VC6, VC7, VC71, VC8,NMAKE),
Borland(BMake,CBX), GreenHills (GHS), and IBM(VA4). It does this by reading
in a template file (which has a proprietary syntax) that lists all the
source, header, inline, resource (.rc) and documentation files.

I am using GME/UDM/OTIF and want to have all the project files and
workspaces generated automatically. For this, I need the location of where
the tools like GME, UDM etc are installed on a machine. Would it be
possible for the GME/UDM/OTIF installers to automatically set an
environment variable like GME_ROOT/UDM_ROOT/OTIF_ROOT etc so that I can use
them in my MPC template files to describe things such as include paths,
library paths etc relative to that variable? Then when I check-in my MPC
template files to CVS, our users can install GME/UDM/OTIF and then use MPC
to generate project files/workspaces which will work automagically,
irrespective of where they have these tools installed on their local
machines.

-kitty.