[gme-users] Metamodel composition ?

Aditya Agrawal aagrawa at us.ibm.com
Sun Apr 24 13:55:48 CDT 2005

Vamshi wrote on 04/22/2005 10:05:59 PM:

> Hi!
> I have a question about metamodel composition that is not clear in the
> documentation:
> 1)
> Let us say I have created a paradigm similar to signalflow (say "P1"),
> in which I can drag and drop delay and gain components and connect them
> to describe signal processing operations.
> 2)
> I generate a customized GME GUI for modeling using this paradigm (say
> "GME-GUI-P1").
> 3)
> Now, I want to define a new *paradigm* for describing guitar effects
> like phasor, flanger, delay and sustain, using P1. Say P2. I don't want
> to define this in MetaGME and the associated visual environment of
> GME-GUI-MetaGME, but want to do it using P1 in the GME-GUI-P1
> environment, and use this to generate GME-GUI-P2 which will inherit all
> features from GME-GUI-P1 + extra features as defined as part of the
> definition of P2.
>
> Is this possible? Am I missing something in the UI/documentation that
> permits me to do this? Using libraries didn't seem like the same thing
> (The visual environment is still GME-GUI-MetaGME).
> Thanks!
> -Vamshi

You are correct in your assessment. You cannot define an extension of P1
called P2 in P1. The way you could define an extension of P1 is by doing
it in MetaGME and using P1 as a library.

I would like to know more about the reason for wanting to define the
language P2 using instances of P1. We could give some suggestions based on
this motivation.

Thanks,
Adi