[gme-users] Metamodel composition ?

Matthew J. Emerson mjemerson at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Sun Apr 24 18:42:15 CDT 2005

Hi Vamshi.

GME provides a light-weight mechanism for extending modeling languages
called GME Type Inheritance. It's a way of treating domain model
artifacts as types. You can then instantiate or subtype those types.

To continue in the example you provided, you could use the low-level
signal flow concepts from P1 to design discrete components for each of
the more complex guitar effects you would like to see in P2. Then, you
could treat each of those components as a new type belonging to P1. You
don't actually build a new modeling language, you simply add
higher-level reusable modeling constructs to your old one.

You can read all about GME type inheritance on pg. 37 of the GME User's
manual.

--Matt

them

> to describe signal processing operations.

> 2)

> I generate a customized GME GUI for modeling using this paradigm (say

> "GME-GUI-P1").

> 3)

> Now, I want to define a new *paradigm* for describing guitar effects

> like phasor, flanger, delay and sustain, using P1. Say P2. I don't
want

> to define this in MetaGME and the associated visual environment of

> GME-GUI-MetaGME, but want to do it using P1 in the GME-GUI-P1

> environment, and use this to generate GME-GUI-P2 which will inherit
all