[gme-users] Problem registering decorator

Thompson, Robert C robert.c.thompson3 at boeing.com
Thu Jan 13 17:42:25 CST 2005

Hi,

I'm having trouble building the out-of-the-box Decorator example from
GME 4.11.10.   I'm using MS Visual Studio C++ 7.0 (i.e. .NET)
specifically version 7.0.9466.

The problem occurs when registering the decorator .DLL.  I have seen
similar errors to this in the gme-users mailing list related to
interpreters but not to decorators.  The output text contains the
following snippet:

	Performing registration
	RegSvr32: DllRegisterServer in
c:\etc...etc...\tst3\Debug\tst3.dll failed.
	Return code was: 0x80004005
	Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code:
"Performing registration"

Please note that "tst3.dll" corresponds to Decorator.dll from the sample
decorator code coming from the GME distribution.  The only thing I
changed was the project name, output dll name, and the requisite changes
in DecoratorConfig.h as described in the GME users manual (i.e. the
typelib and COCLASS UUIDs, names, progids, etc.)

I get the same error when manually attempting to register the dll using
regsvr32 from a command line.

I think that the error code is a generic error return from
DllRegisterServer meaning almost nothing.  I've run "depends" on
tst3.dll and the only thing I come up with is apphelp.dll, which I don't
have on my machine because I'm running win2k.  Not sure if this is an
issue; "depends" web site says this particular dll should be safe to
ignore, but I'm not sure if it would affect regsvr32 or not....

Seems to be that the following line in
CDecoratorApp::DllRegisterServer() is returning a bad result:

	HRESULT hr = _Module.UpdateRegistryFromResourceD( IDR_DECORATOR,
TRUE, regMap );

But I'm not clear on why this should be the case...

Does anyone have any ideas or pointers?

Thanks a lot,
-ace

Ace Thompson