[gme-users] Java Component Registration

Steven D Baker Steven_D_Baker at raytheon.com
Mon Jun 20 17:13:32 CDT 2005

Hi,

Can anyone explain what is necessary in order to register a Java Component
in GME? In other words, what does JavaCompRegister.exe actually do? I
haven't had any problems using it in the past, but I recently tried to
register a Java interpreter from a user account without admin privileges,
and the result was a component with a "??" icon, the message "Component
Execution Failed" when trying to use the interpreter from within GME.
Naturally, I wouldn't expect an account without admin privileges to be able
to register a component for system wide usage, but I'm a bit confused by
the fact that things don't work from the user's own account -
JavaCompRegister.exe claims to have registered the component successfully,
and it looks like the necessary registry entries are made (which I thought
was all JavaCompRegister.exe did). Registering the same interpreter on the
same machine using the identical method from an admin account works as
expected.

I've duplicated the behavior on 3 machines, running Windows XP, with GME
version 4.11.10. I don't have administrative rights on one of the machines,
hence my interest (in addition to general curiosity). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Steve