[gme-users] Problem with OCL

Larry Howard larry.howard at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Mar 18 09:21:22 CST 2005

Let me take an initial pass at this.

First, my understanding is that constraints are defined on the paradigm
as generated, not as modeled.  Abstract FCOs are part of the paradigm
definition (meta-model) and do not exist in the generated paradigm.
Therefore, it is not possible for a valid constraint to refer to them.
(Someone else should comment on constraint validation in the paradigm
generation process.)

That said, the result is less power in constraint definition, since the
constraints need to be defined on the concrete FCOs.  I must also leave
it to others to say what intentions there might be for meta-modeling
refinements that could address this situation, or to correct any
misunderstanding on my part reflected in this response.