[gme-users] Re: [udm-users] FW: [great-users] matching archetypes

Krishnakumar B kitty at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Thu May 5 13:46:37 CDT 2005

Hi Endre,

On Thursday, 05 May 2005, Endre Magyari wrote:
> Archetype-instance relationships are not modeled. They are not modeled in
> GME, either - you can subtype/instantiate any object without specifying
> this relationship in the metamodel. Same in UDM - you can
> subtype/instantiate any UDM object.  It is a relationship which is
> available between objects of the same type.

I have had some problems with this.  Essentially, I want to attach some
attributes to a model, but I want these only to be applied on instances of
the model.  Since there is no explicit instance in the metamodel,  I have
to attach these to the model itself, which has the unfortunate consequence
of confusing people.

I would be curious if there are any standard guidelines for specifying
attributes which apply only to instances of elements.  Maybe I am barking
up the wrong tree.

It would also be nice to have a repository of metamodels from the different
projects that we have done at ISIS, so that I can learn from them and not
solve problems that have been already solved.

-kitty.

--
Krishnakumar B <kitty at dre dot vanderbilt dot edu>
Institute for Software Integrated Systems, Dept. of EECS, Vanderbilt University