[gme-users] getTypeInhObject() returns "null"

Thompson, Robert C robert.c.thompson3 at boeing.com
Mon Sep 5 16:37:30 CDT 2005

Hi,

In interacting with BON API, I've encountered a situation where the
invocation of BON::FCO::getTypeInhObject() returns an instance of
BON::TypeInhObject "t" such that the expression:  " ! t " evaluates to
true, i.e., it seems like I'm not getting a proper instance of the
TypeInhObjectImpl underneath the hood (I think).

What's odd is that my BON::FCO instance on which I'm trying to invoke
this method seems to be fully working/populated as far as other methods
go ( getName(), getParent(), etc...).

The BON::FCO instance in question was generated using the copy
contructor that takes a BON::Object instance as argument:

	FCO( const Object& object );

The object instance that I'm passing in I got from a call to
BON::Object::getParent() on another instance of BON::Object.

I.e. something like the following:

BON::FCO a ( some_obj->getParent() );	// some_obj is an instance of
BON::Object.
BON::TypeInhObject t = a->getTypeInhObject();
if( !t ) { ... } // "..." gets evaluated, because "t" seems to be no
good :-(

Other methods on some_obj work fine, so I'm pretty sure it's a "good"
instance...  Also, other methods on "a" seem to work ok too (as I
mentioned above)...

I am expecting that every FCO would return an instance of
BON::TypeInhObject, because the GME User Manual says the following on
page 204:

"For each fco in a project there is a BON::Type or BON::Instance object
with which the user can obtain information about the fco regarding the
type-inheritance."

So I can only assume I'm doing something wrong in my code.  Can anyone
shed any light on what might be causing this to happen?

Thanks
-ace
Ace Thompson
Systems and Software Engineer