[gme-users] GME tutorial question: a paradigm for routers that have a fixed set of ports?

Akos Ledeczi akos.ledeczi at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Aug 16 13:53:52 CDT 2006

Hi John,

if you compare a dsml to a programming language such as C++ what you are
asking for is that users are not allowed to create their own classes
only instantiate classes that are provided to them. GME out of the box
does not allow that restriction just like a C++ environment won't
constrain you that way.

What you can do now is what Ace suggested: use libraries and tell the
users that they have to use the provided building blocks. (You can
possibly write some contraints that checks this, but it might end up
being a hack.) We are reimplementing the library feature right now,
because it was limited and buggy. Hopefully, we'll have a release late
September.

Interestingly, we have just started to think about an extension to GME
using patterns. It will be a generalization of the clipboard idea.
Basically you can create a palette of patterns (model fragments) that
you can apply directly (i.e. copy as it is) or if it is parameterized,
"instantiate". This is in the conceptual stage right now, so do not
expect something until later in the Fall.

(I just got Sandeep's email where he calls this macros...)

Akos