[gme-users] runnning exe from GME dll

Csaba Toth ctoth at isis.vanderbilt.edu
Mon Dec 7 11:00:33 CST 2009

Hi Vijdan,

As far as I can understand this is a general programming issue.

We say that a call is synchronous (or blocking) if it won't return to
the caller until the task is finished. An asynchronous (or non blocking)
call returns immediately to the caller point. In that case it depends
how you'll be notified about the completion of the started task.
Sometimes you can specify some callback or delegate function, or you
have to set up some kind of IPC (inter process communication) or
periodically check some resource.

system is a standard C call and it is blocking (while _exec/_execve is
not).

You need to start a new process or a thread and start your desired
program from there. Instead of using _exec I suggest to use
CreateProcess:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425%28VS.85%29.aspx

This is it, if you just want to simply start a program like NotePad. If
you want to communicate with this process also, that cannot be covered
in this e-mail.

Hope that helps,

Csaba