[gme-users] Instances in Aspects

Larry Howard larry.howard at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jun 1 08:33:56 CDT 2010

Yes,  I think an addon component could be an effective way to mediate the creation of an object from the Parts Browser.   For the selected meta-object, the addon could offer the user a palette of supported types associated with the meta-object.  The user's selection from this palette would then be used to complete the object creation operation by instancing the type.  This approach essentially extends the drag and drop nature of the Parts Browser with type-based specialization.

I should mention that distinctive icons could be used with a fixed type system, as components can set an arbitrary icon for a GME object.  This visual cueing could complement type information displayed in the GME interface when an object is selected on the modeling canvas.   An alternative would be icon decoration using GME's decorator interface. But this approach, while powerful, is more involved and not where I'd start.

Regards,
lph
--
Larry Howard, Sr. Research Scientist
Institute for Software Integrated Systems, Vanderbilt University